This past weekend Les and I were treated to a most exciting event, the traditional Hindu marriage of one of Lesley's high school friends Purna. Purna Manchandia was arranged to marry Raja (pardon my spelling and inability to recall Raj's last name) in a traditional Hindu wedding ceremony at the Swaney Hindu Temple in Shreveport, LA.
The wedding was a series of celebrations lasting about three days. It involved Mehndi parties, the groom riding up to the brides house on a horse and knocking on the door with a sword to ask for the brides hand, and the wedding ceremony.. oh and two receptions. We went to the ceremony which was interesting itself. The horse and carriage left the Manchandia's and took a 45 minuet trip to the temple where it arrived to dancing and music. Note the video!
The ceremony was very unique and indeed a cultural experience. Most of it was conducted in sanskrit and I couldn't really understand it but it was very colorful and enjoyable.
After the ceremony we went outside under the tent to a traditional Indian meal, i.e. vegetarian... it was sooo good! I could have kept on eating had I not nearly stuffed myself to the point of exploding.The whole weekend was a nice change of pace. The farm has that "Rural" magic that can turn a normal relaxing activity into more of an existential experience. I went fishing catching a few "monster" Bass and even a Bream.
I don't know how to use the spin casting equipment the farm had so I used it like a fly rod, I may have looked ridiculous but I caught seven fish.
Everything was perfect; the water, the wind, the sun, and the atmosphere.
Just think, everyone, about one year ago you guys were all heading to Gilliam Louisiana to celebrate our wedding. Look what it's like this year, not as much activity but still just as beautiful.
I know this is a shorter blog with out much detail but do enjoy the pictures and be assured that another blog will be coming along shortly. Note on the last picture. The old barn has been given a needed face lift.
Purna's Wedding
No comments:
Post a Comment