Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bakery 382

I have discovered the joys of bread baking as of lately and to refine my craft, when I have time, I have been trying to make fun baked goods. I started out my baking hobby with none other than the coup de gras, or in Italian Colpo di misericordia, Pizza! After a few tries at that, and a very good pizza dough if I don't say so, I was ready to move on to a more complicated bread. Lesley and I decided that a reference book was in order so we dished out enough discretionary income to purchase the Bread Bakers Bible. This tomb was full of useful information on the "Art" of bread and I have been experimenting with dough starters, fermentation times, and ingredients. It is, I think, not so much different then home brewing beer. My first creation was to bake a batch of bagels. They were followed quickly by an experiment in Banana bread, and more banana bread this time with raspberries added too. I made enough loaves of banana bread that I finally felt comfortable enough giving one away to our downstairs neighbor for his birthday. Next stop cheddar loaf. I just started this dough this week and after preparing the starter and letting it ferment I dusted the top with the rest of the flour to ferment for 24 hours. Tuesday I was able to add the cayenne, Dijon mustard, and cheddar cheese and then let that bad boy rise for about 5 hours. Finally, at about 10 o-clock I was able to bake it. It turned out great! I had a piece this morning. I think I will enjoy baking, its very relaxing.


This past weekend Lesley and I had time to finally go visit Newt who has moved to New Orleans. We met Newt and Kristy at their new home in the Garden District just down the street from where he will be going to graduate school at Tulane. We enjoyed walking to all of the great restaurants and stuffing ourselves on the unique tastes of southern Louisiana.We walked Kristy's dog, Trout, to get Snow Balls, had fun shopping at Whole Foods which we are deprived of here in Jackson, MS, watched Trout get his teeth brushed, visited a park art show, and enjoyed the rain that seemed to fall every day. It was a quick weekend though and we are now back in Ridgeland baking bread and working.
Every one stay Cool!

3 comments:

The Walls said...

Les -- your bread looks yummy! I was thinking of u today .. I hope you got to eat some birthday cake!
Love
JenWalls

JJCMOMMA said...

Jeremy, who would of thought that you would turn out to be a baker man!!!!! Your breads look like prize winners!!!!! Can't wait to taste some of them.

Unknown said...

Ok, that looks good. Your so domesticated these days... I'm jealous. I think about living in the south every day, where the food is great and the people have culture... even if it is a little backward.