Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mystical Krewe of Barkus

Some people lead a secret life and I can accept that, what I didn't realize was that our dog, Cloud Dancing, also leads a secret life and that is a bit more disturbing. During the days and weeks when she's with us she's a cute little puppy but by cloak of night and weekends she is the Caped Destroyer! This past weekend we decided to take a trip down to New Orleans, or as we have begun to call it NOLA, for a Mardi Gras experience. Tucker and Jane came and we stayed with Newt, Kristy, and Trout in their new place. I know, I know, when am I going to get to the Caped Destroyer? Just hold on and we'll get to that. We arrived early Saturday morning, Valentines day too, and got the dogs comfortably playing while we looked into the Mardi Gras parades that were taking place that evening. We chose to go to the Knights of Sparta, and Krewe of Pegasus. Before we left for the parade we planned a valentines meal for the ladies. Whole Foods had just what we needed for a great dinner. Newt, Tucker and myself decided to make blue cheese, bacon, and onion stuffed NY strip, with salad and pie for desert. And we would make that as soon as we returned from our parades. We got the dogs situated and took off toward the part of town known as "Center City" and found ST Charles Ave where we didn't have to wait long for the parade to start. It was dark out and the parade started with Drunken vagrants and then Fire and then Drunken Horsemen. I'm not at all sure that one of the horsemen made it through much of the parade. The floats and bands were fun to watch and we landed a lot of beads, and cups, and plush stuffed swords, and I think an alien. The second parade was a little more tame but it did include the one and only Chris Owens on Her/His very own float. She/He didn't look all that good in the Autumn of her/his life. The parades were everything I thought they could be and we were all ready to get home and work on those steaks. Upon returning from the parade we found a Stripper and a Super Hero hanging out in Newts house. What, you ask, am I talking about? It turns out that our furry companions are leading an altered existence as members of the Mystical Krewe of Barkus. They turn tricks for cash and destroy things for justice in their spare time. As it turns out they had a gathering of the Krewe members scheduled for Sunday the 15th in the French Quarter of NOLA. We woke up early, ate breakfast and made our way to Armstrong park in the French Quarter. We were surprised at the number of Barkus members, probably in the thousands, and handlers. Little Caped Destroyer was quite shy around other super pups, maybe for fear of someone recognizing her as Cloud Dancing. It took CD about 2 hours to calm down enough to want to march in her parade. Trout on the other hand was quite excited and was able to amble about the park making contacts and pulling in a little cash with a wiggle here and jiggle there. At one point a man in a bathrobe and shower cap stuffed a cool mill into Trouts little G-String. We lined up and stepped out of the park onto the busiest French Quarter I have ever seen. Wall to Wall people crushing in to see the masked canines. Normally in a Mardi Gras parade the floats and marchers throw beads to the parade goers, and they did in this parade too, but the parade goers also had throws consisting of dog treats. I suppose it's their way of saying thanks for keeping us safe in this dangerous place. The route was 2 miles up and down the streets of the quarter and then across Jackson square. By the end we were tired and the Krewe disbanded until next year. I think both Cloud and Trout had a great time and who knows... when you're in need you just may see the CAPED DESTROYER!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that sure is nice... I mean intimidating.