Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm Yours

"I won't hesitate no more, no more it cannot wait I'm yours" On March 7th 2009 Chris and Elizabeth were married in Colorado and Lesley and I had the great pleasure of witnessing the occasion. Chris met Elizabeth about a year ago on a bus to Los Angeles and over the short course of the last year they fell in love and decided to jump into the world of marriage. As the months of their engagement flew by the anticipation grew, we bought our plane tickets and packed our bags and hit the air to Colorado. Upon landing at DIA we were met by mom, dad, Justin, and Missy, Justin's great girlfriend. Let's see, that's 1..2..3..4..5..6 people and 1..2..3..4 large pieces of luggage and 1 small Audi a6, we squeezed in. It was an eventful trip back to casa Johnson. We had only a short time to relax say hi to grandma, sip a Fat Tire, and get back into the car to go to the rehearsal...at least we took 2 cars this time. Chris asked Justin and I to be ushers in the wedding so our role would be to escort the family in as well as all of the guests. Not much to practice but it was fun to watch Chris and Elizabeth go through the hoops. After the rehearsal we drove to Boulder to have the rehearsal dinner at Via Tuscana. We had a nice room that was very reminiscent of an Italian catacomb or wine cellar. We ate and drank and then had toasts to the bride and groom. The rehearsal and dinner were held on Thursday and the wedding would be on Saturday so that meant that we had a day to explore. Missy had only been to Colorado once and that was to go to Vail on spring break. We thought we would try to show her around with the little time that we had. We started with a driving tour of downtown so she could see all of the places that Justin had lived, worked, and gone to school before he moved to LA. The next stop was Red Rocks. This was a lot of fun for me too because I had never been to Red Rocks outside of going to concerts. Les and I got to jump around on the same stage as the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and countless other great bands. After Red Rocks we drove to Boulder via the Coors brewary in Golden to meet Chris and Elizabeth for lunch at the Mountain Sun brewery for lunch and to hang out. We had some very good Colorado beer and a visit with the bridal party. Next stop, Pearl Street. We went to the walking mall in Boulder for a short visit before heading up to Chautauqua to hike around the flat irons. We managed a lot of Colorado in one day, I was impressed. Chris, Justin, Josh, and I decided to have a little bachelor party up Boulder Canyon so we dropped the ladies off at Chris and Elizabeth's new apartment, grabbed some cigars and brandy and headed up the canyon. It was fun hanging out with Chris the night before the wedding. Saturday was the big day. We relaxed a little in the morning but we had to get ready and be at the wedding by 2:00 p.m. for pictures. Chris showed up and he got ready in his very own storage closet. The pictures started and me and Justin even held the post of door bouncer for a short time while Chris and Elizabeth first saw each other. Guests began to arrive and it was time to jump into action seating them haphazardly by evaluating who they wanted to sit by, if they were friends or family, or just in the last seat available, you see ushering is a challenging, multi-tasking, job that requires thinking on your feet to get everyone seated. The time had come for the big job, escorting in the family, and it went off without a hitch. The groom came in, and then the bride and the ceremony was fantastic. Chris is now married and I have a new sister-in-law. Time for a bit of dance party... can I get what what. We danced and ate into the evening and watched Chris and Elizabeth drive off to begin their life. I don't think I got to talk to them during the reception, so Chris and Elizabeth, congratulations and I look forward to seeing your life's progress as husband and wife. The party couldn't last forever and Les and I had to catch a flight back to JAX early the next morning. It was fun and I look forward to our next event... As I write this a month and half has past and Chris and Elizabeth have been to Hawaii, Mexico, and at this moment are in, what I think, one of the most beautiful spots in the country, the desert of Utah, Indian Creek.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

way to go. that pretty much sums it up.

Elay Burd said...

Yessss. Miss you guys. Hope you are enjoying the music festivals in NOLA.