Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mapping the Cloud Forest: Costa Rica

I recently had the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica to help survey/map the cloud forests around Texas A&M's new Soltis Center for Research and Education.  It was a great experience and I hope to return soon. 


The view from my cabin



Navigating the forest
 

 Surveying the forest


What would a jungle trip be without a little vine swinging


The bat cave... I did crawl in there, but not too far.


A view of the top of the canopy



 Strawberry poison dart frog. This was only one of the poisonous inhabitants of the forest.


Another... The Eyelash viper, small and deadly.

 Lugging equipment


Arenal, one of the most active volcanoes in the world.






Some of the waterfalls we encountered in the forest.


Alberth with a coral snake (red on yellow kill-a-fellow).  We also saw two fer-de-lance which are among the most poisonous snakes in the world... I didn't get close enough to them to take a photo.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Ah... pura vida! I hope you had a Pilsen for me. :)

Unknown said...

Looks nice... I'm jelly.